Happy 2009 everybody!
I know we’re a week into the new year, and it’s been… some unconscionable amount of time since I posted, but let’s kick things back into high gear! 2009 is an exciting time; we’re about to get a new president, Lost is coming back for its penultimate season, and Lady GaGa’s album “The Fame” is already my soundtrack of the year. So many great things are happening it might seem silly to force another item onto your to-do list, but that’s exactly what I’m going to ask you to do today. You see, 2009 is also the year of looooove!
“Uh, you just made that up,” you may be saying to yourselves, and you would be correct. However, why not? The economy has gotten so screwed up it can’t go anywhere but up, and there are no Olympics this year, so why not celebrate being alive in 2009 with a little romance. And anyway, the Mayan calendar says we only have three more years until the Apocalypse, so let’s live it up!
I’m here to tell you that cell phones were made for kindling the sparks of love in your quivering hearts. Just think: when was it ever so easy to send a little “I love you” to your paramour? Why should we think that technology distances us when we all carry our phones close to our bodies, ever awaiting contact with another person?
So to start things off right this year, here are a few ideas for furthering the romance between you and your special person, all via text message:
1. How romantic can you get in 160 words or less? Challenge yourself or your sweetie to finding the most creative and succinct language of love you can tap out by thumb. Try out your favorite romantic quotes or lines from movies.
2. … And when you get through all that poetry and flowery language, just sending an “I love you” will always, always do the trick. Try it, and turn someone’s day around.
3. When you’re separated by time and space, a message a day can keep the loneliness away. Just write about what you’ve been up to, or tell them about something that reminded you of them that day. Heck, do this one for your friends. Isn’t it great to know that other people are thinking of you?
4. Standby texting abbreviations are as follows:
“I love you” becomes “I luv u” or the more contemporary “I❤ u” (which has led to the inexplicably popular “I less than three you,” but that’s best in another post).
“I miss you” becomes “I miss u,” and so on.
5. Does your significant other have less-than-stellar capabilities when it comes to texting? Bring them into the 21st century and buy them a new texting platform or an unlimited texting plan so that your communication is no holds barred. Because, when in doubt, buy ‘em something!